Saturday, December 25, 2010

Bread Pudding


I recently found this recipe for bread pudding while searching based on what I remember of my mother's results and method, and after tweaking to suit, I think I have finally succeeded in creating a near perfect version of my mother's bread pudding. In fact I think it's actually better.


Ingredients
1 x 650g loaf of white bread
375g (1 whole packet) of mixed fruit
125g (half a packet) of butter
60g of raw sugar
1 x teaspoon of cinnamon
1 x teaspoon of mixed spice
2 eggs, beaten
More raw sugar & nutmeg for sprinkling

Method
- Tear the bread in to small pieces, soak in 2 litres of cold water for half an hour
- Strain the bread through a colander and squeeze as much water as possible out of it
- Use the block of butter to grease a loaf tin, then melt it slowly in a saucepan
- Add the butter, fruit, sugar & spices to the bread and stir into a glutinous mass with a wooden spoon
- Add the eggs and stir again
- Pour into the tin and sprinkle liberally with more sugar and nutmeg.
- Place on the bottom rack of the oven at 160 deg C for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until firm and pulled away from the side of the tin.
- Cool in the tin then cut into slices an keep in the fridge in an airtight container. (serve cold)

No comments: